Though Team USA is out in a heartbreaking loss to Ghana, millions of Americans are now tuned into the World Cup.
But did you know...
- Nike, the official sponsor of 9 teams including USA, Brazil, and Portugal, has made team jerseys entirely out of plastic bottles.
- Solar panels have been retrofitted to street lights, traffic lights, and billboards in 6 of the host cities.
- Eleven teams have pledged to offset the emissions caused by their participation in the World Cup. PUMA has sponsored the offsets of Teams Algeria, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Uruguay, Italy, and Switzerland. Chile, England, Republic of Korea, and Serbia have committed to offsetting their own emissions.
- Indigenous trees will be planted in Soweto.
- Waterless urinals are being used instead of traditional toilets.
- Food will be served in biodegradable containers.
- Soccer City Stadium has been built using recyclable concrete.
- Many of the stadiums are using LED lighting.